Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fever

Well, the day I have been waiting for has come - Kinzie has a fever. I routinely check fearing a UTI or RSV. Emma came down with a green, runny nose these last couple days and Kinzie quickly followed but the fever came yesterday. 101.6 F So I started with the Tylenol treatment every 4 hours and "Menthelatum socks" and it's down to 100.2 F. We may be going back in today to check for UTI and lungs. I did put her O2 back on yesterday and last night as her breathing was kind of labored. She belly breathes most of the time anyway but now seems to gag like she's trying to get more air. The good news is that she did not throw up yesterday and has been pooping like crazy! She has also been emptying her bladder very well on her own. My cathing usually comes up empty.


Now in answer to some questions, mainly my good friend Jodi's who has walked this path too and to whom I truly appreciate her insight!


1. She is on prophylatic antibiotics for the cathing as it introduces bacteria itself.

2. I cath her every 8 hours but she has often already peed on her own.

3. She has had barium swallow tests showing penetration of the lungs on anything less that thick consistency.

4. She has had a PH probe test to measure the reflux -shows mild but was done while on Prevacid so probably worse before that - currently on max dose of Prevacid which causes constipation too.

5. She has had an upper GI xray test to check that the sphinter valve into tummy works right. It did.

6. She then had renal ultrasound to check that kidneys were fine - they were.

7. Did VCGU to check for reflux into kidneys. She did not but discovered the neurogenic bladder. She had been just fine until the UTI.

8. We currently have an ultrasound scheduled to check the Pyloric sphinctor into intestine but are waiting since Pyloricstinosis usually manifests in boys and in the first 6 weeks or so. If the throwing up starts again when we start bottling again we will check it.

9. We briefly talked about a fundoplication when we thought we were putting a g-tube in but said there was not yet enough evidence from GI to warrant doing it. We don't want it if we can prevent it but just now have really begun to explore her GI issues and need more time to determine.

Thank you Jodi for all your insight. Keep it coming because I get stumped on what to evn ask to try next.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Kara, it seems like there is never a dull moment in your household. I commend you for being such a great and efficient mom. I wish I was closer to u so I could come over and help with the girls. I will continue praying for you and your whole family.