I have been keeping busy by canning. My neighbors grow a huge, beautiful garden and are more than willing to share. Thus, I have bottled tomatoes and salsa from their tomatoes and peppers and onions. In addition, many neighbors have apple trees that they aren't harvesting and after asking around was able to pick to my heart's content. I canned applesauce and apple pie filling and have been making pies! I then decided to buy pears and peaches from Utah and can them too. They were the only thing I had to buy! I was so excited. I'm getting ready to do the last batch of salsa again as it's now finally getting cold and the tomatoes are done. I just had to boast for a second I guess because I was amazed at what first began as busy work to distract my thoughts turned into some great food storage! Here is my list:
16 quarts of Tomatoes
35 pints Salsa
24 quarts of Applesauce
30 quarts Apple Pie Filling
50 quarts of Pears
5 pints of Pearsauce
50 quarts of Peaches
5 comments:
Way to go Kara! -
can I get your apple pie filling recipe? 33 pounds of apples waiting for me to do something with :)
wow, you have been busy! thats awesome- so much yummy food all stored up and it almost all free?!?!? incredible, lol. way to go.
reading this reminded me of my first canning experience at your place in Rexburg. What a fun but long process!
Wow Kara that is soo awesome! I am impressed. That's pretty sweet that your neighbors are so sharing too!
I still have pears left from when we canned them together a few years ago. I guess I need to get eating them! You are very impressive! It must have taken you forever to do all of that.
Post a Comment