Saturday, January 30, 2010

Kinzie Update

As many of you do not yet know about Kinzie, let me take the two spare minutes I am robbing my sleep of and give a quick summary.

I went in for my scheduled routine c-section on Friday Jan. 22nd. Due to the huge snow storm, we left at 5am and made it by 6:15am where we were told the hospital was on back-up power and could not start my surgery. After monitoring my contractions for a couple of hours, we were able to start. Power did go off twice but luckily generators kicked in immediately. The surgery part went fine but as soon as Kinzie was pulled out and shown to me, she crashed. They wisked her to the table where thy had to do CPR compressions fo 45 seconds. Once breathing they wisked her down to NICU to intabate (put a tube down her throat) as well as start IV lines, medications, etc. They are not used to this at this hospital but were unable to air evac her out due to the storm. THus, they were told via phone by Phoenix Children's Hospital (PCH) what to do to save her life. She was kept stable but critical overnight and then with a small break in the storm the next day, we were both flown to PCH. Since then we have had many scary moments but are now improving greatly everyday. She is breathing on her own now, no tube in the throat, she is off the 2 blood pressure meds, both antibiotics, and the 1 anti-viral she was on. She has had high fevers and was on a cold blanket but is now steadily holding a good temperature and is thus off the blanket. She started eating my milk two days ago via a feeding tube but as of yesterday started drinking from a bottle. She started with 5cc every 6 hours but is now up to 10cc every 3 hours and will continue to increase the volume by 5cc daily.

She also had a heart ultrasound done - came back normal - and an EEG and MRI. They both came back abnormal. That's expected for an EEG due to her age and size. An EEg reads activity of the brain. THe MRI shows structure. Thus, abnormal means she suffered some damage and they think that happend early in pregnancy. Baby brains very commonly are known to fix themselves or at least compensate for areas of deficieny. We are praying for either or both with Kinzie. We would appreciate anyone's support in a fast this Sunday that her second EEG on FEb. 1 and second MRI on FEb. 5th show improvement and/or normal.

At this point, they have ruled out bactieral, viral, and genetic disorders. THus, damage occurred at some point. Why, they do not know. But now we are working on recovering what we can. So far Kinzie has blown the doctors' away with her improvement. Cale and I did receive many blessings over this week and pregnancy that Kinzie will be healthy and recover fully. We are trying to find faith to trust these words of our Lord. Please pray for us to have strength, faith, and trust.

Currently, we are staying in the Ronald MCDonald houses along with my mom, sister an EMma. As of Sunday, Krista and I will stay here with Kinzie. Cale will return to work on Monday and come down on weekends. Emma and my mom are flying back to Texas on Sunday and Emma will stay for 2 weeks. THe timeline fo Kinzie has changed often but the best case scenario is now 2 weeks. We are praying for this.

I will post pictures later but wanted to at least update and notify all of you who have been so concerned and already spent countless hours in prayer and fasting on our behalf. We truly believe that your faith along with ours is bringing these miracles to pass each day. THank you, thank you.

P.S. Zellwegers came back negative for those of you who were worried about that with us.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

We are so glad she is doing better, is a fighter!

We are also VERY HAPPY that it's not Zellwgers, we just couldn't believe that news.

We love you and are praying for you and your family.

Jodi said...

Kara, I'm so sorry to hear of Kinzie's struggles. I know how extremely heartbreaking and nerve racking it can be to have your new baby need such special care. I'm always available if you want to call and talk or vent out your frustrations or fears. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers continually. We'll be praying for good results on Feb. 1st. Keep us updated.

Love, hugs, and best wishes,
Jodi

Rachel said...

Kara...I am so sorry about all that you are going through! I can't even imagine the terror you and your family must have felt that first night, as well as since then. I saw Kinzie's pics on Jamie's blog, and I must say, she is beautiful!
I'm so glad to hear that she is wowing the doctors. I'll pray that she will continue to do so (quickly :)

~Rachel (Jamie's friend)

Emily said...

Kara - I had no idea of your hardships these past few days! I will keep you, Kinzie, your family, and the dr.'s in my prayers. If she is anything like her mama, I know she's a fighter and will pull through all this! :) She is absolutely darling. I am sure this has been such a difficult time. Hang in there, know that you are loved, and many many people are praying for you.
Love you!!
Emily

Jamie said...

we love you guys and are praying for little Kinzie to keep doing better each day. Take it one second at a time- you don't have to handle everything at once :-) lots of people are praying for you guys!