Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Departure Delayed

These days I feel as if in an airport...delayed departures time after time... after time. Need I say more, we are not coming home this weekend. Kinzie is getting better at recovering from her episodes. She rarely goes apnec, or bradycardic now and if she does, recovers herself without needing the o2 bag. She also is getting better at keeping her reflux from coming up. It is still extremely painful and still not quite making complete sense. GI got involved today and did an Upper GI test. It came back normal meaning all structures are working correctly. Tomorrow we are doing a PH test to test the acidity of her tummy. We are hoping it shows something as it would be an easy fix. We were still scheduled for coming home Sunday with all of that pending until she quit having voids today. She went 9 hours without any wet diapers and finally had to be cathed again. It is still showing very little out put which is strange because she is still doing great with the bottle and taking all feeds PO (by mouth). Her liver enzymes are also slightly elevated again so we are again delayed and testing, testing, testing.

My heart breaks everytime something else has to be done. She handles it pretty well actually and just closes her eyes and sucks on her pacifier. My job is to talk to her and drop sucrose drops on her pacifier. She is so strong to simply endure without understanding why things are being done. I at least get to benefit from hearing the explanations. They mean nothing to her though and yet she continues to smile and coo.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

oh kara my heart aches for you and little kinzie. She has such a strong spirit of strength about her, it seems unfair to max it out with these hiccups. We think about her daily and pray that the doctors will figure out what she needs to get past these painful days. I pray you and Cale will have the patience and peace you need as the answers are slow in coming. Stay strong and lean on the Savior to hold you up. He will carry the weight of your heart aches. love you and miss you
jamie

Jodi said...

Kara, I'm so sorry that Kinzie is still struggling. I know how hard it is to watch your child struggle and feel so helpless. Please don't hesitate to call me if you want someone to talk to who has been down a parallel road--I know it's not the same situation exactly, but I do know what it's like to be stuck in the hospital and not be getting answers. We have lots of experience dealing with GI issues, seizures, and urinary problems as well, so if you want to talk, I'm here. Please know that you remain in my thoughts and prayers. We'll be praying for Kinzie's strength and health, and for your own peace and comfort. Hang in there! You're doing a great job being Kinzie's advocate.

Love, Jodi