Saturday, December 26, 2009

Calling all Moms!

Ok, so I knew that going into the terrible two's could be difficult but I didn't prepare myself for the added switch from crib to big-girl bed in preparation for Kinzie's arrival. Emma loves her bed (as long as the mattress stays on the floor) but she doesn't like to sleep in it! Actually she probably does like the extra room; she just doesn't 1) want to take a nap anymore and 2) want to stay in her room now that she has freedom to get out of bed.

So mom's, what do I do?!! How do I make nap time easier. We made sure to keep the routine the same: 2-3 stories, 2 songs, kisses...but this is what the last three days looked like.

Day 1 Nap - Spent the 2.5 hour nap period continuously putting her back in her bed. We also tried laying down with her but she just wanted us to play with her.

Day 1 Bedtime - Same bedtime routine but then immediately laid down with her for 5 minutes until she wanted to play. Then we left her alone. Had to put back a few times but was asleep in 15 minutes.

Day 2 Nap - Same routine, still tried laying down with her, but then sat outside her locked door while she cried herself to sleep. It took 45 minutes of her playing with her toys and crying off and on until she put herself in her bed and put her blankets on her.

Day 2 Bedtime - Same routine, laid down with her until she feel asleep. It took 1 hour but she didn't try to get up or play; just wanted me to stay by her.

Day 3 Nap - Same routine, still tried laying down with her but ended up locking her door again. She cried herself to sleep in 20 minutes.

So, as I type it sounds like it might be getting better slowly but am I a bad mom for locking her door to keep her in. People suggested baby gates but she would just knock it down. I feel it is the same. Is it or am I cruel? Any other suggestions?

2 comments:

Jamie said...

coming from a mom who's child has defied all recommendations I've gotten or read, I've learned you have to do what works for you and not let anyone else make you feel bad. So I vote nope, you are NOT a bad mom :)
it does sound like its getting better slowly, it may just take several days of routine to get it in her head....:)good luck.

Walling Family said...

It will get better...keep doing what you are doing.
And PS we had to lock Garrett in his room.

Maybe telling her it is naptime and she has a choice she can sleep or she can sit in her bed and read books but she is not to come out of her room. IF she does you take the books away. It worked for Madison.

Just keep working at it.
And no you are not a bad mom